Director of Volunteer Engagement
Hybrid remote work schedule available: 3 days in office/field and 2 days remote
Base office in Asheville
Position Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) is a community-based non-profit legal aid agency governed by a local Board of Directors. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina (WNC), Pisgah Legal Services provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in WNC. The organization currently has offices in Asheville, Brevard, Burnsville, Hendersonville, Highlands-Cashiers, Marshall, Newland, and Rutherfordton. With over 100 dedicated staff, including over 30 attorneys plus program staff, and an active group of 300 volunteer attorneys, the program provides free services to nearly 20,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, immigration, and consumer law.
The Director of Volunteer Engagement is a new role to support the organization’s large and growing base of volunteers in a variety of roles and locations. The Director will create systems to onboard and integrate volunteers into Pisgah Legal’s many programs and across 18 counties. The Director will be the main contact for new volunteers and introduce them to the organization, our values, key organizational information and systems, and Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) training. PLS has several volunteer coordinators who work with volunteers in specific roles. The Director of Volunteer Engagement will work closely with these volunteer coordinators to build a strong system of training and support for each volunteer area. This person will provide consistent onboarding and systems trainings to all volunteers before they are placed in a specific volunteer role. The director will work with other staff to integrate equity and inclusion into our volunteer engagement.
Create & Maintain Systems for Effective, Coordinated Volunteer Programs:
- Create & maintain systems for screening, onboarding, and training new volunteers, and ensuring effective engagement throughout a volunteer’s involvement at Pisgah Legal Services.
- Create & update training systems and materials on PLS volunteer and organizational information.
- Create & maintain systems for tracking data related to volunteer involvement
- Maintain updated information about PLS volunteer opportunities on our website and other sites
- Coordinate outreach to recruit new volunteers.
- Work with Volunteer Coordinator to plan and execute Volunteer appreciation activities and an annual recognition event.
Onboard, Train & Support Volunteers:
- Serve as the main point of contact and relationship building for all PLS volunteers across the agency.
- Track and respond to volunteer inquiries in a timely manner.
- Conduct initial volunteer interviews, background checks, and identify mutually agreeable roles for volunteer skill sets and organizational needs.
- Schedule and facilitate volunteer group information sessions and trainings.
Support Volunteer Coordinators:
- Support and communicate with all PLS Volunteer Coordinators related to their specific programs/roles.
- Work with Volunteer Coordinators on capacity and volunteer performance.
- Supervise Health and Economic Opportunity Program Volunteer Coordinator.
- Travel to Pisgah Legal’s branch offices and other locations in WNC for job-related meetings & events.
- Seek out and attend trainings and continuing education for job-related topics.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Commitment to PLS’ mission, values, and vision.
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective systems for training, data management, and communications, using technology.
- Experience in training and developing training content.
- Experience in volunteer coordination and supervising volunteers.
- Aptitude for working in database systems.
- Demonstrated, strong organizational skills (detail orientated and accurate), including tracking and filing information.
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income people and communities preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with teams and independently.
- Desire and ability to work in a fast-paced environment, ability to prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to present to groups.
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent professional experience.
- At least 2 years’ experience working with volunteers preferred.
- Reliable transportation.
- Valid driver’s license.
Salary ranges from $44,639 – $76,372, depending on experience.
Our salary scale is predetermined based on the years of relative professional work experience that qualify for this position to ensure equity in pay. Pisgah Legal Services is a Living Wage Certified Employer.
Employees are eligible for medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage the 1st of the month following the start date. Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) pays 100% of the Employee and 50% of the Dependent Cost for BCBS Medical and Dental coverage. PLS pays 50% of the Employee Coverage Cost for BCBS Vision coverage. PLS pays 100% of Long-Term & Short-Term Disability Coverage, Life Insurance Coverage of 5x base salary + an additional $15,000 Life & AD&D Coverage. 401k Retirement Plan after 6 months of employment. Additional Fringe Benefits includes Paid Parental Leave, 12.5 Company Holidays, 22 Paid Leave Days, Paid Sabbatical Leave for eligible staff, Employee Assistance Program for entire household and a great working environment with work life balance! Our complete benefits guide is available at: https://www.flipsnack.com/5de6a5a7c6f/pisgah-legal-services-2022-benefits-guide/full-view.html
Submit your online application with resume and cover letter through our Career Center located at https://www.pisgahlegal.org/jobs.
PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with our Human Resources department.
COVID-19 Safety Information:
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, Pisgah Legal Services has worked tirelessly to promote evidence-based practices across our entire organization. With this in mind, all Pisgah employees are required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccine. Employees who are unvaccinated or have an approved exemption will be required to provide verified weekly COVID-19 test results. We currently have COVID-19 safety precautions in place.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : General